"THE DETAILS ARE NOT THE DETAILS. THEY MAKE THE DESIGN." — CHARLES EAMES
Happy Tuesday, m' dears! Let's jump straight to the details, shall we?!
- Last weekend was pretty low key. Oh, who am I kidding?! Most weekends usually are in Swell Rio, right?? You've learned that by now. Ha Ha! We went to dinner on Friday night with friends and stopped by a "craft" market held downtown on Saturday morning (slightly underwhelming, but something to do...). Now, before I start to lose you with any more snooze-worthy deetz, things took an epic twist that evening when Flyboy and I watched four episodes of Big Little Lies. Oh, yessssss! Our goal was to get the first six episodes finished before Sunday's final episode. Challenge accepted. And would you believe me if I told you we stayed up until MIDNIGHT?! Staaaahp it! That's just crazy town, right there!!
- After accurately predicting what would happen in Big Little Lies by episode three, I was riding a real high in the final few minutes of the finale. Y'all this NEVER happens to me!! I'd even go so far to say that Flyboy was genuinely impressed by my skillz—this is usually his wheelhouse. With my new found confidence, I couldn't stop thinking about the show on Monday. I wanted to talk about it with anyone that might listen. Unfortunately, toddlers are useless when it comes to this sort of drama. Sigh. I just needed to get to nap time and then I'd start chatting with my people. Then, after successfully getting Max to sleep, I noticed my phone was blowing up, but it wasn't for the reasons I'd hoped...
- Yesterday took an awful turn for the J.Crew community. Flags all over social media were lowered to half-mast when we learned THE Jenna Lyons would be leaving our beloved company after 26 years. Suddenly #NationalStripesDay feels like a ginormous sham. Thanks for nothing, Mickey! Build us up and tear us down, why don't you?! And I have no doubts that Jenna will go on to do fabulous things, but she genuinely embodied so much of what I adore in the brand. It's a loss for the company and Somsack is going to have some really BIG shiny ponies to fill as he takes over Lyons' design duties.
- In other news, last Thursday Flyboy asked where I store the letters to my Letterfolk letter board and I totally fell for his bait. I always do! Just hours after responding to his odd inquiry, I walked into the dining room to find him changing the quote du jour "Put on your positive pants." to "Put on your BOSSY pants." I'm still not sure whether that minor edit was aimed at Max, yours truly, or BOTH, but it resulted in a big and unexpected belly laugh. Well played...
- You know in the song The Luckiest when Ben Folds sings "I don't get many things right the first time..."? That's kind of how I feel about my Fiddle Leaf Fig Big Tex. I had this epiphany on Friday afternoon when I moved him around so I could dust furniture that hasn't been touched in months. I couldn't help but stare at him feeling so damn proud he's still kicking. What the what?! We've been together for 3.5 years (see his debut here) and quite honestly the odds were never really in our favor. I don't have a green thumb. Heck, he even spent 13 days in a dark storage unit because I was certain I'd kill him and have to buy a new one eventually anyway. With all that's happened since we moved back to Texas, keeping this plant alive might be my greatest achievement. Sorry, Max! You're a close second.
Alright, that's all I've got for now. What have you been up to?! I'm dying to know.