I'm Type-A and proud, but lately I've become a slave to my to-do list. Don't get me wrong, I still love making them and checking items off the list, but it feels as though it's never ending. Even on days when I'm über productive, there's still SO much to accomplish. It can get a little overwhelming, and I've found that I begin to beat myself up for not doing enough and overlooking all the things I managed to get done. I can't help but think about the family members I should call and the friend I've been meaning to FaceTime; there's the blogger I need to respond to and the guest post I need to create. Even the fun stuff begins to feel like a chore, and it really shouldn't be that way. Whenever I focus on all the things I didn't do, it affects this can-do and task driven gal. I begin to shut down. Ruh-Roh! As a result, I've decided it's time to add some fun stuff to the list. That's right! There's no excuse to NOT do more of what I enjoy, which will inevitably lead to a more creative and productive Ashley.
Please don't mistake this for a pity party of one. I know how to have a good time! I've just found that it's easy to fit in the fun stuff whenever Flyboy's around, but I think I thrive off my to-dos whenever he's away because it helps pass the time. Over the past few weeks he's been coming and going frequently. Any free time I've had has revolved around running errands and preparing for his arrival or departure. Don't get me wrong, being a busy bee makes me happy, but I just think it's time to shake up the ol' routine.
Here's what I plan to do in the coming weeks:
- Beach Time: It's been almost three weeks since I've been to ANY beach, which is ridiculous because we live in Hawaii. Um, hello, sunshine?! While I prefer to be in the presence of my better half, I may have to sneak away with a good book or a stack of glossies and unplug.
- Journaling: You'll find that some weeks I write a lot in my posts, and other times I keep it short and sweet. Lately, I've felt as though I've been lacking in the creativity department and I think that's attributed to not writing. I'm going to make more time for this in the morning. I hope to start my day by jotting down ideas, doodling, and free writing for five to ten minutes.
- Cocktail Corner: Earlier this year, I set up Lil Puna's version of cocktail corner. This little happy place is close to being finished, but there's a giant white canvas that needs a little TLC. Every once in awhile, I'll get an urge to do something crafty. I've toyed around with a few ideas for the blank canvas, and after throwing around some options I think I've finally come up with something I like. Now it's time for the execution! I really need to whip out the Mod Podge and paint and complete this little DIY.
- Get a Pedicure: I've had every intention of doing this for about six months, and an at-home treatment can only do so much. It's prime time for sandals and my toes are on display (on display, each and everyday, everyday, everyday), so it's about time I make it happen!
- Read: After reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette, I've been on the hunt for a new book. I love to read, but I rarely make time for it. I think it's time I pick up a copy of Tara Conklin's The House Girl.
What sorts of fun-tivities will you add to your to-do list?