I thought it was time to shake things up on m' blog. While I'm a big fan of the weekly Love List, I think it's appropriate to show gratitude during the month of November. Who's with me? I already share enough posts filled with fabulosity, most of which can be slightly materialistic -- I'm aware! And while there's nothing wrong with that -- it doesn't define me -- I'd rather use the next few Fridays as an opportunity to share five things that make me grateful each week.
I honestly believe that when you're aware of your blessings and you're appreciative, it has a direct impact on your overall happiness. In fact, this couldn't have been more evident earlier this week. I felt a little down because I learned about Flyboy's upcoming trips. Thoughts about the time that we'd spend apart consumed me. All of the coming and going is rough for this Type-A(shley) planner. I felt a little overwhelmed and upset. After I took a few moments to collect myself, I was reminded that I'm in control of the joy in my life. It was time to stop being sad and start being awesome. Why not focus on the positive? There's so much to be grateful for. As someone who's dabbled with Oprah's idea of a gratitude journal (7th Grade! Nerd Alert!), I'm going to try to make a point to be cognizant of the good.
As you glance at The Friday Five, you may notice that some of these points of gratitude seem rather silly, but they're instances that made me happy. It's important to take note of the little moments that make you grin from ear to ear. Here's what made me grateful this week...
- Phone calls from family seem to make every day better. I've noticed that when I go a few days without talking to my mom, dad, or sister, it starts to show. I know it's bad when Flyboy notices the difference in my overall mood. He'll ask, "Did you talk to any family today?" While it's hard to live far away, a familiar laugh or discussions about random subjects (i.e. J.Crew's cabochon bracelet, political debates, Pinterest, etc.) make me feel instantly closer.
- Leisurely weekends with no plans whatsoever. I'm especially excited to watch Funny Face and catch up on Bravo. Eek! There are a bunch of new shows starting next week, and I couldn't be more excited. I guess that means I'll be watching loads of Beverly Hills and Hotlanta reruns this weekend!
- The trade winds returned this week, which meant breezy afternoons and evenings at Lil' Puna. The best part? I could throw on a light sweatshirt for kicks and giggles and not break a sweat! While I'm told that these heavenly breezes will come to a halt this weekend, they were nice while they lasted...
- Sifting through pages of a beautifully designed book. There's nothing quite as peaceful and invigorating.
- Flyboy returned early last Saturday morning. I figured that he would be spent, but after a few hours of sleep and a Pumpkin Spice Latte, I caught him looking up show times for the Diana Vreeland documentary. It was the sweetest gesture. We went and saw it together and my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. I think I even caught FB laughing at various parts of the movie. It was one of those delightful afternoons I won't ever forget. It was my idea of absolute perfection. If you haven't seen it and the film is playing in your area, promise me you'll go this weekend. I know you'll love it!
Alright, enough about me...
What made you feel happy or grateful this week?
I hope you do something this weekend that leaves you smiling from ear to ear.
I'm talking about the kind of grin pictured above.
(Thanks for the sweet pumpkin getup, mom and dad!)